Central America

Central America

Friday 18 July 2014

15/7/14 & 16/7/14 Last day in Cancun, more new friends and bus south to Playa Del Carmen and onto Tulum.

Despite waking up still in a lot of pain with my back (tail bone), I knew that I had to get up and get a wriggle on as I needed to pack my 'exploded' backpack ready for moving on from Cancun and starting the trip south later in the day.... My bag looked like a stick of dynamite had gone off in it though and I could not even begin to envisage how in the world I was going to fit everything back in.....the weather was soooooo hot and even at 9am it was unbearable..... 3 showers and 4 packing attempts later I was just on the verge of a breakdown when I was rescued by a lovely girl called Amy who I'd befriended the night before.... between the two of us we managed to get everything snuggly back  into the bag and then decided we should hit the beech to celebrate.
A group of around 12 of us from the hostel set off on the bus and when we arrived I was once again blown away by the sheer beauty of the place.....once again pure white sand, crystal clear water with so many shades of crimson, turquoise, aqua - just paradise.....
We found a shady spot and I stayed with all the bags whilst the rest went swimming.... I didn't fancy tackling the crashing waves with my poorly back so was quite happy lying in the shade and watching all my new friends having fun. This beech was much more chilled and tranquil compared to Mandala where we'd been to the beech / pool party. Such a contrast and so glad that I also had the opportunity to see this other side to Cancun.
We got back to the hostel and relaxed for a bit, all discussing our travel plans and deciding if and where we would all meet up again on our respective trips, then we made tracks for the bus to Playa Del Carmen. Me and Ceri had managed to gain 3 new recruits for this part of the journey and the plan was to go out to 'party' when we reached Playa (as its renowned as a party centre) we booked a 'lively' hostel called hostel 'Che' which had been recommended.....  We kinda lived to regret that decision however when we arrived to the worst Bob Marley tribute ever, playing very very loudly in the bar which was situated directly next to our room. We were all knackered but there was absolutely zero chance of getting to sleep with the Mexican version of Rod Stewart with swine flu murdering Marley track after Marley track so we made a quick change and got out of there. I can safely say I DO NOT recommended this place at all..... the only places i could compare it to would be somewhere like Malia or maybe Benidorm...... just a strip of shops and bars and clubs pumping crap music out of worse speakers. Me, Ceri and Amy managed to have a nice time though - we had a couple of Mojitos before heading to go people watch at the more crazy end of the strip where all the main 'clubs' were.... We only lasted one drink though as it was bloody awful and none of us could bear witnessing another silly girl in stupid high shoes try to walk up or down the cobbled hill we were on. Luckily by the time we got back to the hostel the music had stopped and all was quiet. The 2 others we'd travelled with were already soundly asleep and the air con room was the perfect welcome home.
                                      **************************
After around 5 hours kip I woke up with the worse fever, so hot and sweaty but shivering all over......I knew where this was headed and sure enough 10 mins later I made my first trip to the bathroom. This continued for around 3 -4 hours before I was forced out of my bed and back to the bus station to head off to Tulum....no food or water in my system, blazing heat, knackered back and dodgy tummy are not a good combination for lugging round a 17kg back pack. Ceri was also unwell so we made a right pair on that bus journey.... Luckily I once again managed to commission two seats to myself so just slept for the entire journey. We arrived in Tulum, or so we thought.... got off the bus both half dead and still asleep and quickly realised that we were in middle of nowhere. After snapping at each other a bit we got on a shuttle bus to the centre and went to a restaurant to use the WiFi.... with the assistance of the lovely owner of the restaurant we managed to find a hostel and a taxi and before long I was back in a horizontal position in our own private room..... We opted for a private room due to the need for a private toilet! I managed to muster the strength to head out to locate a place to get my washing done as there's no way I had the energy to hand wash..... After a few words from my phrase book I was onto a winner and very proud of myself that I could even walk in my current state never mind be speaking Spanish!
Back at the hostel I slept a further 4 or so hours (and had loads of trippy 'fever dreams') before getting a message from a guy we'd travelled with from Cancun asking if we wanted to go for dinner. Neither of us felt like we could eat but knew we had to so we forced ourselves to go. I managed to eat a few chips and once I'd had a coke and some water I started to feel much better. Adam who we'd met in Cancun had brought another guy along called Rich and after the meal Ceri started to feel really unwell so Adam walked her home leaving me and Rich to stay and settle the bill. Minutes after they'd gone an entertainment act started at the restaurant - which basically consisted of a rather excitable Mexican lady with a microphone doing a lot of shouting and talking to the crowd. We were praying she wouldn't talk to us but sure enough she did and we both realised that neither of us spoke any Spanish! I tried to signal to her that I was sick by rubbing my stomach at which point she turned to Rich and said loads of stuff in Spanish to which replied  si si si despite not having the first clue what she was saying..... it then transpired that she thought I was pregnant and had asked if he was the father to which he'd replied yes!!!! Funny but tell tale sign that I neeeeed to learn more Spanish!
Animal update: I saw my first chiwawa today!

Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment